Are we products of our environment or products of our expectations?
"Do you think that we're products of our
environments? I think so, or maybe products of our expectations. Others'
expectations of us or our expectations. I mean others' expectations that you
take on as your own. I realize how difficult it is to separate the
two. The expectations that others place on us help us form our expectations of
ourselves.” Wes Moore
I agree whole
heartedly with Wes when it comes to expectations. The expectations others place
on us, really do help us form expectations of ourselves. The sociologist
Charles Horton Cooley coined the concept of the ‘looking-glass self” which he explained
as individuals developing their concept of self by observing how they are
perceived by others. this concept suggests that social settings help build your
self-image and expectations. Judgement we receive from others are used by us to
measure our self-worth values and behavior. I believe that we are products of
our expectations whether those expectations are our own or stem from others.
What I expect from myself has always guided my path in
life. Be it with my education or my home life, I always had high expectations
of myself. I grew up in a violent home and eventually in a one parent household
and at one point on the verge of homelessness. All those factors along with
raging teenage hormones, were breeding ground for a hard life. Because I knew
that my mother had high expectations of me and always encouraged me to getup
and go get, I knew I could not allow my environmental factors to dictate my end
in life. Wes More’s beginnings and his parents’ expectations were a big factor
in his success in life. On the other side the other Wes More’s environment
coupled wit the expectations were the determining factors in his life turning
out the way it did.
Wes More said “Someone, at some point, put those
expectations in our minds and we either live up to them, or live down to them.
The only difference in my life was that there were people who were willing to
hold on to my long dreams long enough for me to grow and to mature and to find
out that they, too, were my dreams" Wes more This resonated with me so strongly
because when I think of how hard it was for me to make the decision to return
to school as an adult, it was the people around me, my support system, my son
who was watching, knowing that they all had high expectations of me, those were
the reasons why I pushed even when I didn’t want to.
Like Wes, not having my father in the home, affected
my life greatly in many negative ways. I chose to use his absence as a driving force
for my life. I always wanted to show him that his leaving did not create a
failure as he thought it would. He believed that if we chose to stay with my
mother when he decided to abandon the family, that we would turn out to be
failures. What he didn’t realize was there was more than just HIS expectations
at play. My mother’s expectations and more importantly my expectations of myself
would greatly outweigh his and outweigh my unfortunate life circumstances.
Hi Rebecca! Yes, I do agree that other people's expectations of us influences our expectations of ourselves. I'm a psychology major and there's this thing called the self fulfilling prophecy where people's expectations can influence a person to live up to those standards because of the subconscious mind. I think it's important to note as well that expectations are an environment or part of it. It you have someone who has high expectations, it creates an environment that may be supportive and/or an environment that pushes you to work hard like you explained in your situation.
ReplyDeleteRebecca,
ReplyDeleteGreat content and argument. Make sure to revise for minor mistakes. As a suggestion, review in-text citation format.