The other Wes Moore needed to tell his mother that he got Alicia pregnant. Have you ever had to give someone news that you knew would break their heart? How did you build up the courage?
The other Wes Moore needed to tell his mother that he
got Alicia pregnant. Have you ever had to give someone news that you knew would
break their heart? How did you build up the courage?
I remember the day my great-aunt passed away. She had
been fighting cancer for over a year and was home for hospice care. I was her caretaker
and spent every day with her until my cousin came home to continue care. Being with
her every day, we became very close. My cousin her daughter and I became much
closer as well.
The day my dear aunt passed away was a regular day. We woke up got cleaned up and had breakfast. We made sure her oxygen tank was working and my cousin wen off to work. My aunt and I loved to watch Bad girls club together. We put the show on and had a great time watching and talking and laughing together. She was quitter than usual that day and her energy was a bit low, but that was to be expected since she had good and bad days. We had some family members and church members come over, which was normal. They had bible study and prayers and we had lunch. Around 2pm after cleaning up my aunt was unusually quiet. Being on the oxygen machine, I would hear some wheezing from her, and I no longer heard it. I went to check on her and she was no longer breathing. I quickly started CPR and got 911 on the phone.
While performing CPR and on the
phone with emergency services, I called my cousin on my cell. It has so hard
not to sound panicked. I calmly asked her to come home because her mother was
not breathing. I didn’t want her to drive under that stress, but I had no
choice but to ask her to come. I then had to call my mother to have her come
home as well because I was not sure what would happen next. I continued CPR until
the paramedics arrived. I wanted them to keep working on my aunt and hopefully
save her, so I hid the fact that she had a DNR. I really didn’t want them to
know she had a Do Not Resuscitate because they would have to immediately stop
working on her and allow her to die. When my cousin arrived less than 10
minutes later, she also did not want to tell them about the DNR, but they took notice
of the equipment and asked what documents we had for her. My cousin showed them
the folder and they found the DNR and had to stop working on her. My aunt did
not wake up and passed away. We had to break the news to my mom and my cousin’s
daughter was coming home from school around that same time. She was 8 years old
and very close t her grandmother who just died. We had to take her upstairs and
sadly break the news to her that she just lost her grandmother. She was
devastated. It was the hardest thing I ever had to do, tell 3 people in one day
that someone they love is gone. It didn't take courage in my mind because it was inevitable, it just had to be done. I pray I never
have to do that again in life.
Rebecca,
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing such a personal story. It's a great response to the question. As for the writing, make sure to revise for small errors. Otherwise, great work.
I saw a few minor issues, but I'm so sorry for the inconvenience. I can't image telling three people on the same day, especially an 8-year-old daughter.
ReplyDelete